Thursday, September 5, 2013

my first window, Q1

Officially I have been an FIFA Players' Agent for 4 months although the first one does not really count. My federation screwed up and it took me over 5 weeks to get all thinks sorted after passing the exam. Insurances, FIFA info, company registrations, payment of fees, office arrangements etc. I was up and running early/mid June and since then transfers has been occupying my woken hours (and sometimes even in my sleep)... anyway iam not the type of person looking back and for those readers that want to recap have a look at my old posts...

Sitting at the aiport after a day of meeting the club (invoice and collection of my money) and players (2 of the transfers i did) i feel the last quarter has just flown away. My aim is not to on a personal level reflect on feelings but to present concrete examples and tips/help. This is also the feedback I get from the readers, feelings are perceived differently. But facts stay facts and here a couple of pointers from what I have learned in my first transfer window:

- Agents are often seen as the dark horse in the world of pro football, correctly in many scenarios. But I can tell you that clubs are as eager to f'ck the players over as agents. Also players eager to stab u in the back if a agent/club propose a better alternative. I have had several conversations were club responsibles are shaddy or directly lie. Can be anything from; contract conditions, them dealing with several players simultaneously, amount of required trial days etc.

- My estimation is that 95% of all transfers done are made with 2 middlemen, either 2 agents, one agent one scout. Somebody have the player and the other part the club, standards are 50/50 split. The problem occurs after collecting cash. If you are on the side that does not send the invoice you will most likely not see your half or at least have to hunt it down. Especially if it is a middleman you dont really know or have delt with before..

- Get reference from other agents if the club is liquid and pays, both for your own and players sake. Promising big provisions or wages is easy, even through a signed contract. Actually paying what is obliged is not. The clubs are aware of this powerbalance and some just chose not to pay, basta. They know that going through FIFA and then CAS is a process that takes years so make sure you know first hand that they can and are willing to pay their bills.

- You often sell a player that u do not have representation agreement with. Either through mandate or working for the club. If you want this player to sign for you make sure they do so on the day of signing all other contracts. A player will agree to sell his own mother on signing day. He will be abit more reluctant when everything is sorted...


Now I am checking out for a week of holiday... ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment