Friday, July 5, 2013

PL's Wyscout feedback

This was sent to me from a buddy that reads my blog/twitter, he asked me to publish it here:



Camp Nou, Barcelona
July 4, 2013. 

With plans to become a full-time football agent next year, I decided to invest in a pass for the WyScout Forum in Barcelona this week - the event that markets itself as the secret transfer network for the world's biggest agents & football clubs. 

Designed to be "speed-dating" for the football transfer industry, sporting directors are sat on school tables marked with their club flag, waiting for agent after agent to sit down & offer them players or find out what they are looking for. 

Nobody is here to be introduced. If they don't know who you are already, you are not worth knowing.

Held in the bowels of Barcelona FC's Camp Nou, the Forum is purposely organised a couple of days after every transfer window opens. However, the problem with that idea is any agent worth their salt has been working on transfers for the last two months, so in reality the notion of beginning negotiations in early July is ridiculous.

What is important here, though, is status. What hotel suite are you staying in? Where did you get your suit? Who's that blonde you've bought with you? How much commission have you made so far this window? These were just a few of the conversations I overheard among the agents in the hotel foyer.

Shattered Illusions

Everyone talks business. That's all they are here for. During one of the boring presentations on the opening day, I found myself sat next to a Chief of Player Recruitment at a mid-table Premier League club, so I ignored the tedious panel discussion on the stage, and instead concentrated on spying on a text conversation he was having on his iPad with a well known UK agent.

Agent: "I hate to say it mate, but I've had another offer in for XXX XXX XXX (England international striker)

PL

No comments:

Post a Comment